Saturday, April 7, 2007

Killing Time in Kyzylorda

We are sooooo bored right now. We are entertaining ourselves with our DVDs but we are just killing time. I know what you all are thinking "go out and do something". Well that is easier said then done. Kyzylorda doesn't have much to entertain its citizens that can speak Russian let alone those who can't. They have closed the casinos, theaters and video game arcades all for the good of their people. Thus we can't even go see a poorly dubbed American movie. We went shopping yesterday and that helped kill 3 hours. I bought a dress for our girl for Nerissa's wedding, a pink velour track suit and 5 pairs of tights in various colors. Kat you will be glad to hear a pair of the tights are in pride colors. We had a power outage for most of yesterday and we were not able to connect to the internet until now...that is why the delay in our post. It has rained here for two days...thank goodness...and the dust has been kept at bay by this. We were able to open our window for most of yesterday and today. We have finished Criminal Minds and have moved onto Numb3rs. Andrew and I like this series too! We went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a few essentials...specifically soft TP. This soft TP is 4 ply and cost us over $7 US for 8 rolls. Now I know you may not want to know about our TP but here this is an important issue. Their TP is normally like tissue paper or streamers...not what a girl wants to be using (smile).

We have taken advantage of one of the hobbies open to us at the hotel...Russian billards. Okay this is the most difficult form of billards I have ever seen. We don't know the rules but the openings for the ball are just a smidge bigger then the ball itself. The table is bigger then a snooker table...so you can imagine. It took us one hour and we only sunk 8 out of 15 balls. These balls all have numbers on them but not in sequence...and there are doubles. We were playing flukesies (sp)...if we got one in we were happy. Andrew beat me 5 to 3...I set him up for all the good shots and he left me squat (Andrew says biased writing...). I gave him a raspberry in response. I am typing therefore I get to put what I want. We are stretching what we can put in a post.

A short update today...our girl is still getting better and her breathing has improved even more. She is still in the hospital and it is likely we won't see her for another 6 days...Andrew is staying optimistic that they will change their minds and make this time shorter (I'm not as optimistic and am counting down the days).

Oh! Happy Easter! Tomorrow is Easter Sunday here and I think it is the same in Canada. Enjoy your Easter dinners...we will again be in the hotel restaurant as we don't want to bother our translator with her family. Though she did say she will bring us Easter eggs tomorrow. I am so craving ham and scalloped potatoes right now. Their ham is significantly different...way, way, way too salty, and dark red in color. I also want a huge bowl of corn (I know I am allergic but oh well). Well we have had some beer and Andrew says he is going to pass out. I'll end it there for today. Have a good Easter!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter my Pooders(Mom made type that). Good to hear "Little One" is doing better. Sorry to hear that you don't get to see her in that length of time. Send some pics, everyone wants to see some. How are you guys feeling? Make sure to take good care of yourselves. Will write more in Email. Mom and Da(d)/Grandma & Grampa.

Unknown said...

ok .... first off good tp is essintail... very important, pay what ever price you have to. :)
two, pool made harder.... oh madam, i know how you play pool. you play like me.. it is not good..... who thought making it harder was a good idea.
three. you cant go wrong with pride colours. :D
and speaking of pride, guess what i have season 4 of?!?!!?? let me give you a hint shane.... :o
glad to hear the wee girl is doing better. she needs to be in shape for all the stuff heather has planed for her this summer. lol
love and kisses
:)

The Oakville Pearsons said...

Hi Andrew and Nadine,
Happy Easter! Joy and Brian are here for a visit....you know what that means....there is no shortage of pie here! Wish we could send you some! We don't have much dust here but we've got snow in April - crazy!

Hope the time flies by - good thing you brought lots of dvd's!

Love, Karen, Gary, Sara, Audrey, Eric, Joy and Brian

Anonymous said...

We are in Osoyoos. From a conectivity perspective we might as well be in Kazakhstan. Dial-up really sucks. Yesterday I lost the line and couldn't get back on. Mind you we got real busy with the wine tasting. This morning I am worried that we might not be able to get our luggage back into the trunk. We had very good family times and are looking forward to the future with our growing Pearson family. Have to cut this short before I loose the line again. So we wish you you a happy Easter in Kazakhstan. You probably have pyrogy and some such goodies.
Love, Nana and Opa.